Sunday 8 September 2013

Putting off planning

Putting OFF planning? Huh? Isn’t the whole point of planning, to, um PLAN?
Well, yes. But I’ve been where I am now, before. Where I am now, I’m not sure of my goals. Not really. Which makes progressing towards them a bit difficult.

This happens to me regularly and always when I get really busy. I don’t have enough time to think. All I do is stagger from one thing to the next and my to-do lists get filled up with ‘stuff’. Stuff that needs doing (but in all honesty, maybe not now and maybe not by me). But I get so busy doing all the ‘stuff’ that I don’t have time to plan my things properly. So then my to-do list gets emptier of my things and then there’s more space for more ‘stuff’ so I fill up my time with ‘stuff’ and before I know it, I haven’t looked at my goals for ages and I feel like I don’t have time to sit and think, especially when  there’s all this ‘stuff’ piling up around my ears. And then when I do have time to look at my goals, they seem alien and maybe not up to date.

That’s where I am right now and although I could shift things from my goals to tasks sheets onto my monthly and weekly lists, is there any point if the goals generating the tasks aren’t right?

So, it’s time to step back, start saying no to things and focus on my aims, values and (ultimately) goals and projects. I’m going to spend some time thinking about where I am and where I want to go (and therefore how to get there).

I’m going to use my new-to-me (vintage) navy Portland for all this. Before I even get to the goals and projects sections, I’m going to have a section where I can spend a bit of time on ascertaining my aims and values (effectively life-coaching myself) and only then will I review my goals and projects.

There’s really no point following the map if it leads you somewhere you weren’t still wanting to go to.

2 comments: