Wednesday 3 October 2012

My filofaxes – where are they now? (part 1)


Well, the quick answer for almost all of them is “In the bottom drawer of the bureau in here.”
But why? Why did I buy them in the first place and why aren’t they in use (and um, why aren’t I selling them??)

To my shame and horror, I have a ridiculous number of filofaxes. Truly ridiculous. In fact, so many, that this is going to have to be the first post in a series! This post will cover the A5 filofaxes. There will be a subsequent post on Personal and another on Pocket and Mini. I will only cover filofaxes bought in the last 5 years. I had ‘organisers’ – probably not filofax brand – in the eighties (who didn’t??) but they aren’t going to be covered here.

Let’s do the walk of shame together.

A5

Red domino
This was the first filofax I bought as an adult!
Why did I buy it?
I bought this to use as a work filofax after seeing a friend at work using one, and it did sterling service there for a while. I loved the big rings and the ability to put A4 paper in there, folded in half and to be able to print my own stuff easily. I then bought a jade Finchley (see below) for work and this moved to being my book-o-fax.
Where is it now?
Currently, it has some writing stuff in it – lists of agents approached/to approach; ideas for stories etc. and it has some stuff on time-management for creative people and a few other random things.

Ultraviolet domino (1)
Why did I buy it?
This filofax was always intended to be a ‘notes’ filofax. It has notes for a website I intended to set up for students (and which I still own the domain-name for, and may yet set up…). It also has stuff on life-coaching and business-coaching. In so many ways this is my ‘failure’ binder as it represents a lot of things I have contemplated doing, but haven’t. Much of this stuff has been shelved because I don’t have time to do everything I could and so am concentrating on doing things I yearn to do.
Where is it now?
I currently rarely look at it, but it is on a bookcase next to my desk.

Ultraviolet domino (2)
Why did I buy it?
It was bought as a writing filofax and it still is one. I blogged about it here.
Where is it now?
It is in good use and is in fact, sitting on the desk next to me as I type!

Red Finchley
Why did I buy it?
I bought it to have as my ‘home’ filofax (see here) but then I moved into using a personal size. Then it became my writing filofax. Ultimately it became my book-o-fax.
Where is it now?
On a bookcase next to my desk, still acting as a book-o-fax!

Jade Finchley
Why did I buy it?
I bought it as a work filofax (blogged about here), as I wanted a posher version than the domino. It stayed in use as a work filofax until about two months ago, when I bought a Mulberry A5, which is what is being used at work at the moment.
Where is it now?
In a box in the bottom drawer of my bureau. I can’t think of a use for it, but can’t quite bear to sell it either.

In the next post, I will do the walk of shame through the selection of personal sized filofaxes I have.

How many of you have more filofaxes than is sensible??

4 comments:

  1. It depends on how many can realistically be classed as sensible, no? Although I don't think it matters how high I can get a realistic number to go, I have to admit that I have more filofaxes than is sensible. I think we shouldn't get hung up on the numbers, and we should use the Philofaxy units of measurement as then it doesn't sound as bad. And if there are really too many, then you can just class it as something you collect :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a minimalist at heart, the largest number I've owned at once is three. However, I think it's all about enjoying them & maybe not buying so many that you can't eat or pay your overheads! I love the idea of lots of binders staring prettily up at me from a bookshelf, but I know it's not going to happen as I'd a bit twitchy & start selling some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually only have 1 filofax! I don't see myself getting another one soon unless I find one i REALLY love. I prefer to journal using refill paper & everything else gets stuffed into the chameleon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm shamefully raising my hand here . . . but once I figure out which ones I don't love, I know I'll starting selling those off. I've already gifted the mini Amazona to my sister cause I wasn't using it.

    ReplyDelete